Monday, October 3, 2011

October: Save the Boobies Month

October, as I'm sure you know, is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I have a blog dedicated to boobs and bras, so I felt I should have a post about this. It probably isn't what you expect.

I would like to ask a favor. Instead of wearing pink, or doing silly memes on facebook, consider learning. Learn about cancer. Not just breast cancer, but all cancers.

We have tons of media coverage for breast cancer. We have a certain foundation shoving their brand of pink cures down our throats. Save the Tatas, Save the Boobies, yada yada. And they have come so amazingly far in finding and treating breast cancer.

Now let's do the same for other cancers. Let's push to make similar strides for lung cancer, for skin cancer, for bone cancer, and all those other cancers out there.

I am not belittling breast cancer, or anyone who has/has had breast cancer. My grandmother and great aunt are both breast cancer survivors. Another great aunt survived breast cancer to die from emphysema (at least I think that's what it was). My best friend's mom is a breast cancer survivor. I am at risk for breast cancer myself, having it on both sides of the family. No, I do not do self breast exams like I know I should. They seem to take forever on my big boobs.

But sometimes I feel like breast cancer is overshadowing other cancers. We see pink everywhere, we see so many products that will donate to breast cancer research. Even cat food. Yes, you can buy specially marked bags of cat food that will donate to breast cancer research. Um, hello? Wouldn't it make more sense for cat food to donate profits to animal cancer research? Talk about a cause that needs it. Many people don't even realize that animals can get cancer.

See what I mean?

So if you would like to donate something for breast cancer awareness month, I ask that you donate to the American Cancer Society. They have many great programs that help victims of all cancers, including breast cancer. They fund research for all cancers. I know my local ACS has an event this month, Making Strides, that will benefit their local programs that help breast cancer patients.

If you or a loved one has cancer, visit ACS. They have resources that can help both patients and caregivers. It's worth a visit.


*I do not work for ACS. They do not pay me anything or give me anything. I have been a supporter of Relay For Life for years, and have volunteered in my local ACS office. I believe in what they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment